Museum opening on 1st April 2012

Lismore Gaelic Heritage museum at Ionad Naomh Moluag opened on 1 April for the 2012 season. During April it will be open daily from 12 to 3pm and thereafter from 11 until 4pm. In addition to the permanent displays, the main exhibition room has a schoolroom from the first half of the 20th century plus photographs of the pupils from every decade of the last hundred years. A must see for islanders and anyone with any connection to Lismore.

The Museum also has an exhibition honouring Alexander Carmichael, folklorist, antiquarian, and author of the two volumes of Carmina Gadelica (1900), who was born at Taylochan on 1 December 1832 and brought up at Killandrist. Among other things, this includes two information panels, a gift from Alexander Carmichael Watson Project at Edinburgh University.

Beside this is the audio-visual display telling the story of the hey day of the Lismore trading smacks, those versatile cargo boats operated out of Port Ramsay and Salean between 1870 and the 1940s carrying lime, slate, potatoes, and much more, going as far afield as Dublin and Orkney. The display was officially opened on 22 October by Donald Meek, Professor of Scottish and Gaelic Studies at the University of Edinburgh, who shared his great knowledge of and enthusiasm for the subject to a capacity audience.

The reconstructed croft house has been spruced up for the new season and Freda Drysdale is promising spinning displays on the resident spinning wheel.

Entry to the Museum, the library (with an excellent collection of Gaelic and English books as well as ongoing art exhibitions) and the reconstructed croft house is 3.50 which allows for multiple entries up to five days. Children under 16 are free.

Provided by Pauline Dowling on 8th April 2012

Comments

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional