LISMORE PUBLIC HALL COMMITTEE

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD TUESDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2008 AT 7.30PM

 

1. PRESENT: Archie MacGillivray, Anna Stewart, Gilly Dixon-Spain, Roger Dixon-Spain, Duncan Brooks, Carol Wormleighton, Alison MacLean and Liz Buckle.

 

2. APOLOGIES: Sarah Campbell, Dot Hay.

 

3. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD 17 DECEMBER 2007:

Adoption of the minutes of this meeting proposed by Anna and seconded by Duncan.

The non-quorate meeting of 21 January 2008 only covered the arrangements and tasks for the Amnesty bash planned for 25 January.

 

4. MATTERS ARISING:

Community Council notice boards: Archie will ask (at the next LCC meeting) for the old ones from the shop when they are replaced.

First aid training: Gilly has kept in touch with Murdena Clark of the Red Cross, and discussed with Lismore Community Council, the idea of accepting the automatic defibrillator for Lismore and Red Cross’s offer of ‘Island Resilience’ First Aid training. LCC approved of the proposals to site the defibrillator in the Hall and the training.

Training course (one day) now proposed for 15 March 2008.

Gilly will put up notices for people to sign up for this.

 

5. TREASURERS REPORT: Roger presented the recent situation, including receipt of the HIE grant of £1270, and Forward Scotland grant (first payment) of £5,638, plus the Doctors’ rent and electricity share of £1,717.

The New Year dance made £977.

There is a current standing total in the accounts of about £18,849.

Note that so far in 2007-08, we have received grant payments of £12,485 for projects, with more to come, including a further £2,000 from the Crofting Communities grant (and maybe another £1,000 later in 2008).

 

6.  WATER SUPPLY – UPDATE ON PRIVATE WATER SUPPLY ISSUES:

Gilly presented the estimate from Mike Campbell of Arduaine Farm Services Ltd, of about £700 for a 1,000 litre tank and other materials, £700 labour plus travel costs. This totals approx £2,000, with an additional £550 for each of the UV and particulate filters.

The Committee made a decision to proceed with the work, and to accept Mike Campbell’s estimate.

Davie Meddes has offered to help with ground-works and fencing the tank, and a share of his grant entitlement – Gilly will confirm this with him.

Archie will loan machinery.

Gilly will apply for the grants from Argyll and Bute Council.

 

7.  CAR PARK – PROGRESS AND ISSUES:

Archie reported on progress and work still to be done.

Still building up stone layers, then putting fine sand layer on top of Type 1, then he needs to top it with granite chippings.

Concrete still outstanding – planned for the next available days of fine weather (hopefully coming weekend) – then it must be left to set.

Drainage: Archie advises putting a water/silt catcher unit at the corner of the car park nearest to the hall to collect surface road water. Duncan advises solid not land drainpipe on outflow end to stop under-scouring. Archie will cost up pipe end and silt trap for the Committee before proceeding.

Finishing off: the area outside hall entrance, verges and old car park along the road need to be tractor-scraped and ‘squeegee’d’ to clean off mud (down to stones underneath), then an extra skim of stones on top.

Archie agreed to scrape and squeegee these areas as part of cleaning up. Any further stone would have to be purchased outside his contract. Roger and Gilly offered to donate some stone from the material to be replaced that has been used to complete the car park so far

Barge of Glensanda type 1 delayed further until March, but this is now needed for replacing that borrowed.

Outstanding work: Gilly showed the summary of the final works, which are: to put in gate, plant trees, grass seed.

Trees for planting to be native, Duncan and Gilly will pool together a mix.

Gilly will discuss with Jennifer Lang the teacher when/how children might get involved: possible date for tree planting/opening ceremony: 23 March.

Carol suggested inviting Mr Comb to open it. Gilly will contact Mr Combe

 

8. EVENTS and BOOKINGS:

1 March: Mairi Campbell is planning a fiddle workshop and evening concert in the Hall to raise money for the Comann Eachdraidh.

The Committee decided to hire the Hall for both events at a discount of £50.

Carol will discuss catering arrangements with Mairi.

 

Amnesty Bash – possibly 28th March, hoping for better weather - Hall Committee will help with catering as before.

The cancelled event of 25 January was still held as a ‘practice’ event, much enjoyed by those attending. The kids took a creditable amount of donations considering the difficulties with weather, which covered their costs and a donation towards Amnesty International and the Hall – well done!

 

Valentine Tea:  Sunday 17th February: 1.30 – 4 pm (£3 + £1.50). Alison in charge. Gilly will put up posters. Setting up on Saturday morning 10.30am.

Tasks allocated (separate reminder list below).

 

9.  ANNUAL WORK PROGRAMME:

Anna confirmed that the broken mens’ WC has been fixed.

Work now planned for April lambing time (when not so much on in Hall):

Mens’ broken toilet wall to be mended (plasterboard/plastering).

Smashed light-fittings downstairs, to be replaced with bulkheads (Duncan).

Cupboards in green room and resurfacing of main floor (Roger in charge).

Repainting of stairs, toilets: walls with durable magnolia washable.

Stair and downstairs floors: terracotta floor paint.

Main hall windows (inside woodwork), rubbing down and repainting.

All of the painting, work party as fun event (to be advertised nearer time). 

 

10.  MUSIC SYSTEM, WORKSHOPS etc

Deferred until next meeting as Sarah was not present, although we are aware she is getting advice, specifications and quotes for the music system.

 

11. AOB: 

AGM: we need to prepare annual accounts and treasurer’s report (Roger) and Chairman’s report (Archie and secretaries).

Date set for AGM: Thursday 27th March – 7.30pm in the Hall, secretaries to prepare notices.

Two people have expressed an interest in joining the committee.

Scottish Halls Convention 2008: organised by SCVO – free all-day event in Aviemore on Saturday 23 February.

Anyone who would like to go needs to book themselves in via this website: www.scvo.org.uk/scvo/SCVOEvents

Roger and Gilly are thinking of going.

 

12. NEXT HALL MEETING:

Wednesday 12th March – 7.30pm in the Hall.

 

 

Valentine Tea 

Sunday 17th February: 1.30 – 4 pm (£3 + £1.50).

Alison in charge.

 

Archie and Carol won’t be able to be there, Alison will ask Dot and Sarah if they will be able to do anything (all sandwiches now organised).

 

Beforehand:

Gilly will put up posters/ organise website notice.

Alison will order 10 loaves (4 brown, 6 white) and milk.

Gilly will get special Valentine sweets from Oban (will pick up anything else if asked before Friday 15th).

Heart decorations – Alison/Anna.

Setting up tables on Saturday morning 10.30am.

 

Sandwiches:

Roger: cheese and pickle (2)

Gilly:  chicken (2)

Liz: egg (2)

Anna: tuna (2)

Duncan: ham (2)

 

Baking:

Gilly:  tea loaf

Liz:  pink iced cakes

Anna: chocolate things

Alison to ask Dot and Sarah, and anybody else if needed to bake.

 

Lunches:

Alison coordinating the option of light lunches of quiche and toasties.

Gilly and Fay: quiches

People to help with making toasties.

Salad and crisps garnish.

 

All to help with food/teas, clearing up etc.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional