LISMORE PUBLIC HALL COMMITTEE

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD Tuesday 31ST JULY 2007

 

1.     PRESENT: Archie MacGillivray, Anna Stewart, Gilly Dixon-Spain, Roger Dixon-Spain, Carol Wormleighton, Marie Carmichael, Duncan Brooks and Liz Buckle. Sarah Campbell

2.     APOLOGIES: none

3. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD 12 July 2007

   The minutes of the last meeting were adopted proposed by Roger D-S and seconded by Gilly D-S

4.MATTERS ARISING

The minutes missing from the website have been forwarded to Pauline for their inclusion

Gilly has looked into the cheaper electricity suppliers but has come up with a lot of negative feedback. Duncan is going to do further research.

The wooden Floor has not yet been resealed where the damage from sharp footwear has gone through the veneer. The worry is that when liquid is allowed to remain on the damaged surface the veneer lifts. The cleaning method (recommended by Granwax) involving drying the surface immediately after mopping by vacuuming is to be adopted after each dance. Meanwhile Roger offered to recoat the damaged areas involving degreasing, neutralising, sanding and sealing as soon as he has time. It was agreed that we should still ask for consideration from the public in their choice of footwear but in a low-key way.

The booking form conditions of let have been altered at item 2 :-o

·       All activities taking place in the Hall require clean, soft-soled footwear to be worn to prevent damage to and marking the hardwood floor. Stilettos and tackety boots are not allowed.

 

5. TREASURERS REPORT

The bank balance at 18th June 2007 was £10,171.19 money paid in plus cash in hand gives a current balance of £12,167.75

Both dances returned a profit.

Notification has been received that grant money for the kitchen repairs of £4,572.53 will be paid in within 3 working days of 27th-7-07

There are still amounts from this project owing to Gilly D-S; Gilly is to let the treasurer have the supporting paperwork so that she can be repaid

 

6. UPDATE ON RECENT REPAIRS

The Chair thanked all those both on and off the committee who had decorated the outside of the hall.  Gilly read out a letter received from Mairi Perkins expressing her thanks for the improvements to the hall. A letter of thanks is to be sent to all those non-committee members who assisted.

The insides of the windows have still to be painted. Duncan offered to de-rust the railings on the boundary with Gilly and Davie’s cottage with others to repaint them.

The Toilets downstairs need the floor repainted. Gilly will get a colour card when next in Oban. The wall at the bottom of the stairs gets damaged when tables are returned to the store so it is to have a wide plywood strip applied. Roger offered to do this

The whole lower floor walls are to be painted with washable Magnolia vinyl silk.

 

7. HALL COMMITTEE BRINGING UP THE NUMBERS:

The Hall committee constitution states that there should be a minimum of 10 committee members with the need for more than 7 for a quorum. We currently have only 9 members and Marie Carmichael is leaving to go to College in August so we will be down to 8.

Gilly will place a notice in the shop, asking for 3 more volunteers.

 

8.CONVERSION TO COMPANY LIMITED BY GUARANTEE

There have been no further developments Gilly to chase up Macleod and MacCallum.

 

9. CHILD PROTECTION POLICY:

Carol has included new wording at item 10 on the conditions of let form as below which fulfils our obligation to have a child protection policy.

·       Where an application for let is made for an event or activity which may place one or more individuals in a child care position [as defined in the Protection of Children (Scotland) Act 2003] the individual or group signing the application acknowledges that advice has been given that anyone in a child care position should have an Enhanced Disclosure check. To apply for Enhanced Disclosure contact:

CRBS tel. 01786849777 or Disclosure Scotland tel. 08706096006

 

 

9. WATER SUPPLY

Gilly spoke to Stuart Flaws from Scottish Water, on 31-7-07. There is still a strong possibility that there will be a mains water supply to the school and therefore the Hall. He will know more once the bore hole possibility has been assessed, which is expected to be by the end of August 2007. The new contact is to be Sam Pollock.

Gilly is to contact Scottish water and ask them what provision we could make for the pipe that would ultimately carry the mains water under the car park during it’s construction and whilst the road is opened for the drainage rather than digging it up again later.

 

10.  CARPARK

The committee voted unanimously to accept the offer of the grant for the Car park

Mr Combe has given us permission to start the carpark works even though the transfer of land is not yet complete. Both Gilly and Mr Combe have pointed out to Mr Seaton of Anderson Banks Solicitors that the gate to be replaced during the fencing phase of the carpark works does not give access to the car park but to the road.

Gilly to contact Mr Seaton to speed up the land transfer and clarify that the Hall will only be responsible for maintaining the fence onto Mr Combe’s croft in a stock proof condition for as long as the Public Hall has possession of the land for car parking purposes.

Gilly is to inform Forward Scotland that we are converting to a Company Limited by Guarantee, since there is a requirement to get written consent in our conditions of grant to proceed should we change our constitution.

Tony Perkins has given Carol helpful record sheets for volunteer work on the project.

Gilly asked that all volunteers keep an accurate record of the work they do on fencing etc and e-mail it to her since she has to keep detailed records for the claim.

Roger, Liz and Gilly are to form a sub committee to collect all the details for completing the application as it progresses.

Duncan, Liz, Roger, contractor Brian Chilvers, Emneth, Cambs. and Gilly are to put together the contract for the civil engineering works and return to the committee for ratification.

Archie McGillivray was asked to leave the meeting while the committee discussed the choice of contractor.

He was asked to return and Archie McGillivray was offered the contract subject to the fine detail being clarified.

 

11. EVENT AND BOOKING ISSUES

The Art group was a little disappointed that there had been bookings made that ate into their 10-day hall booking. The Chair asked Gilly to write a letter apologising for any inconvenience this year and we will try to accommodate them better next year.

Arrangements were made for the dance on 10th August, to be circulated early next week

Archie and Roger reported that the new system for stamping the hands of people who pay for the event early in the evening worked very well and saved the embarrassment of asking people twice for money.

 

12. MUSIC SYSTEM:

Sarah suggested that we take a trip to Edinburgh to try out the Bose sound system. Liz asked if it would be able to do recording. And would it be possible to have microphones for meetings like the community council with a roving radio microphone for the audience. Sarah will investigate further

 

13. NEW HALL PROPOSAL

Following the Island development trust meeting, Carol asked if we should continue with the production of a detailed brief for a new hall. It was decided that we should continue with our research because either way we would want to progress the New Hall project and if we just waited and a trust didn’t materialise we would have wasted a lot of time.

Liz offered to contact Sarah Menzies to get a list of projects that were similar to ours or going for the type of funding that we would, so that we could see what type of diversification was suitable for a ‘Hall project’

 

14.ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Mairi Perkins has offered to arrange free defibrillator training to the Committee. Since there is no emergency cover on the Island at weekends, which is when we have our biggest events.

She would supply and maintain a defibrillator in the waiting room

The committee all welcomed the offer and wished to be included in the training. Gilly to write to Mairi and to find out if it includes basic resuscitation.

It was also suggested that it might be a good idea to offer a first aid course to the Public and host it in the hall. Gilly to investigate

 

15 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting was set for Thursday 23rd August at 8pm  

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional