LISMORE PUBLIC HALL COMMITTEE

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD THURSDAY, 25th OCTOBER 2006 AT 7.30PM

 

1. PRESENT  Gilly Dixon-Spain, Roger Dixon-Spain, Anna Stewart, Carol Wormleighton, Julian Wormleighton, Archie MacGillivray, Duncan Brooks, Liz Buckle and Mary MacDougall

 

2. APOLOGIES . Denise Willis

 

3. MINUTES OF THE MEETINGS HELD 14t SEPTEMBER 2006 and 11th OCTOBER 2006

Adoption of the minutes of the meeting held on 14th September  2006 proposed by Anna and seconded by Mary.

Adoption of the minutes of the meeting held on 11th October 2006 proposed by Roger and seconded by Archie.

 

4. MATTERS ARISING

Julian thanked everyone who had contributed to Donald Black's Book Launch on Monday 23rd and how the running of the event and catering had been much appreciated by both Cadispa and Waterstones.

 

5. TREASURERS REPORT

The bank balance is 11,023-93 August dance profit now totalling 130.05. September dance profit 186

Sale of produce and Teas 395.95. AGM of Comunn na Gaidhlig catering brought in 262 and Book Launch  catering 400 less costs.

Roger reported that the Doctors had already paid 750 for the years rent. The next years rent would be applied at the District Valuers rate with a  discount of 50 so as to comply with the agreement that rent will only be reviewed every 3 years.

 

6. HALL IMPROVEMENTS

 

 WATER SUPPLY

Preparatory  plumbing alterations have now been completed by Hanlon Utilities. The price agreed for these works was 272+vat  The new slightly smaller lidded water tank in the attic has been placed a little higher giving us a greater head of water. The positive side of this is that the air lock in the Doctors surgery and disabled toilet has been cured. The downside is that the elderly water heater has now developed a fatal leak.

The remainder of the Scottish Water connection works await the arrival of the mains water which is hoped to be Easter 2007  or later and will be 96.00+vat

The current proposed route for the water supply is on the N.W. Side of the road  and will mean a need to pass through Davie and Gill's ground to reach the riser to the property. Duncan agreed to have a word with them about this.

Julian suggested that it would make sense to lay a Surface waterdrain pipe for the run off water from the land at the back of the new car park into the same trench when it was cut for the laying of the mains. Duncan raised a concern that he would wish to avoid polluting the land below the road with oil and fuel from the car park itself. The surface water drain would only collect water from the land and therefore there was no scope for pollution.

Scottish Water would need to be informed of the construction of the car park if it were to precede the laying of the water main as they might need to lay pipe under it.

 

KITCHEN IMPROVEMENTS

Julian and Gilly have ordered a new water heater for 417.13 that can be positioned temporarily where the old one was, then fitted undersink when the kitchen renovations are carried out. Hanlon Utilities have altered the pipework and overflow to accommodate a new heater.

Rikki Nisbet  has quoted 2,300 +vat for the proposed plumbing works (this includes 950 for a new water heater). Gilly is to obtain another quote from Grant Laird.

Gilly and Liz are to now put together the grant application for the kitchen works. Rona Cameron CADISPA has offered to help with this application

 

 

CARPARK

The decrofting application for the car park land went in at the end of  September, the objection period has passed and Duncan Livingstone in his role as Crofting Commission assessor reported to the Commission that the application raises no concerns. The next stage is that SEERAD will be asked for a report by the Commission, they have undertaken to respond immediately. Julian will ring the Commission on Monday to ask for a time-scale on the decision.

We are waiting for an indication of fees from Mr. Seaton for the necessary legal work associated with transfer of car park land ownership from Ian Combe to us. This indication to include Land Register fee. We are also seeking from Mr. Combe the level of legal costs likely to be incurred by him, to be reimbursed by us. It happens that Anderson Banks have, apparently, agreed to act for Mr. Combe and have said that they can act for us at the same time. Julian to chase up Mr Seaton.

Roger has had the agreement of Bill West from the roads dept that concrete may  be substituted for tarmac at the threshold of the car park.

An  estimate  of  costs of civil engineering works has been  obtained from Ronnie McColl, however as Archie has expressed an interest in quoting for the work, these will not be revealed until his estimate is in. Archie asked if he could have 2 weeks in which to prepare his estimate. and will obtain the spec. from Roger and Julian.

 

 

APPLICATION FOR CROFTING COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT SCHEME FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE

This scheme Closes at the end of October'06 Julian has sent them all the details of what we are doing and will speak to him tomorrow, being careful not to prejudice other grants that we may apply for.

The car park will be applied for  under a separate grant. Liz to ask Rona Cameron for suggestions.

 

 

 

7. FEASIBILITY INVESTIGATION OF PROJECT FOR NEW BUILD

 

SITE AVAILABILITY  as mandated Julian met with the Factor of the Fell Estate (Paul Nicol) and the tenant (Archie Magillivary) on a site near the fire station at the Factors request. The estate indicated that they would be Favourably disposed to making available a site and Archie as tenant was not going to be obstructive, but the detail would need to be discussed.

OUTLINE BRIEF the next stage is to prepare an outline brief for the new hall. Roger counselled caution in not spending more of the halls carefully acquired money in the process. Julian reinforced that we should apply for grants at every turn.

We should all think about  what would be desirable in a new hall and discuss ideas at the next meeting.

 

8.  COMPANY LIMITED BY GUARANTEE

The Fees due for  the transfer of the assets currently in the ownership of the existing Public Hall organisation to the Company Limited by Guarantee are:-

 Fee for preparation and execution of disposition, quoted by Macleod and MacCallum: 450.00 plus VAT. Julian to ask Mr. Seaton, of Anderson Banks, to quote a fee for the disposition.

Registering title in Land Register: 99.00.

The Hall has been valued as 45,000,

 

9. FORTHCOMING EVENTS

Gilly is to organise a quiz night between now and the Christmas holidays.

 

10.  A.O.B.

Julian to firm up arrangements with Jim Millard about the repairs to the hall

 

11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING Thursday 23rd November at 7.30PM

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional