Minutes of the meeting held at 7pm on Thursday 7th September 2006





Archie McGillivray                                 Jim MacCormack

John Carmichael                                   Mark Willis

Johnny McFadyen                                 Duncan Livingstone


Attending: Cllr Elaine Robertson


Apologies: Mandie Currie, Jon Derham



Minutes of the meeting held 10th August 2006: Proposed by Mark Willis, seconded by Archie McGillivray, the minutes were adopted as a true record.


Matters arising: None


New Correspondence: Notice received of the Argyll Food Festival held on September 9th in Lochgilphead.


Ferry issues: Letter received from George Lyon re relief nurse cover, which also confirmed that a STAG appraisal would be undertaken and completed by Spring 2007, and that this would also assess the feasibility of a fixed link as one of the options. Letter also received from Jim Mather, outlining correspondence with the MCA, which confirmed the position as discussed previously i.e. containers can be carried on the Eigg, the Lismore isnít designed/constructed to carry dangerous goods and it is unlikely that it could be modified. The MCA indicated that they were happy to meet the A&B to discuss. Elaine confirmed that the Council had arranged a meeting with MCA, who had failed to show and would charge A&B £780 for a future meeting. It is likely that little progress can be made on this issue until the outcome of the STAG appraisal is known.


The recent failure to secure a replacement passenger ferry when the Lismore went for its annual maintenance and safety check was discussed and it was agreed that this situation was unacceptable. The vessel should be booked well in advance and A&B have a whole year to achieve this.


Out of Hours Primary Care Services: Letter received from George Lyon, advising that he had made representations to NHS Highland regarding the need for a replacement practice nurse to provide 7 days a week, 24 hours per day emergency cover but was yet to receive a response. There is still no cover over the weekend. It was agreed that a resident doctor would be favoured by many islanders. The next meeting of the Out of Hours Steering Group is scheduled for 20/09/06 and the issues of 24/7 cover and emergency transport/paramedics access to the island would be discussed. Work is underway on the project proposal to scope long term options for all primary care services to the island, in collaboration with a Professor at UHI.


It was agreed that we should continue to press for a relief nurse and that Dr Jespersen (Argyll & Bute CHP Clinical Director) should be invited to attend the next LCC meeting. Action: Secretary


Waste disposal: It was agreed that the lack of a skip will cause serious problems on the island and may lead to materials being disposed of irresponsibly. Elaine explained that the removal was precipitated because someone had illegally dumped asbestos in the skip, which had cost A&B £2000 to dispose of safely. Wheelie bins will be provided from November and will be collected every two weeks, with a recycling collection on alternate weeks. It was stressed that this is a pilot scheme and feedback should be given to A&B once it is underway. It was agreed that LCC should request a lockable skip, to enable the disposal of larger items in a controlled way. Action: Secretary.


AOB:  The  lifebelt at Achnacroish still hasnít been replaced. Action: Secretary

The toilets have been painted and a good job was done; a letter will be sent to Sandra Duncan voicing the thanks of the community. Action: Secretary


The car that the Fire Brigade used for an exercise, which included cutting the roof off, has been abandoned at the pier and should be removed. Action: Secretary to write to Fire Brigade.


Scrap cars Ė Mull Builders have been uplifting scrap cars but have not been receiving the necessary paperwork from A&B. Action: Secretary to write to A&B.


To note: A&B will begin tarring roads on Lismore at the end of September.


Date of next meeting: Thursday 12th October 2006

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional